[Socrates] Reviewing Fulbright Applications

Moira E Egan Moira.Egan at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Sep 4 10:54:27 EDT 2019

Dear All,
I hope everyone has enjoyed relaxing and productive summers and that your new semesters are off to a good start.  Once again this year, we have a fascinating group of students applying for Fulbright grants to teach English, earn MA degrees or conduct independent research.  As part of the application process, campuses must submit an evaluation of each application, which is viewed as another recommendation by the Fulbright selection committee.  To do this, groups of 3 or 4 faculty and staff meet with each applicant to discuss the proposed project and to offer feedback as the student makes final revisions before submitting to Fulbright.  I would greatly appreciate your assistance in either serving on evaluation committees yourself or in suggesting others I might contact.  We will be receiving our applications by September 9th, and would like to complete the campus interviews as soon after that as possible so that applicants have ample time to revise by Fulbright's October 8th deadline.  Each application consists of biographical information, transcripts, 3 recommendations and 2 essays of 1-2 pages each.  We have students applying to teach English in South Korea, Taiwan, Spain and Brazil.  Those planning to earn
MA degrees are applying to study literature, film curation and data analytics in the UK, and environmental science in Norway.  Finally, we have two students proposing independent research projects: one using theater to explore homelessness in Uruguay and the other to study the impact of the shift to English instruction on students with communication disorders in Rwanda.  Please let me know which of these you would be able to review and some days and times you would be available.

As always, thank you for all you do to encourage and support our students.
Best,
Moira
~
Moira E. Egan, Ph.D.