[Socrates] E-Resources Updates from the Libraries

Kelly M Blanchat Kelly.Blanchat at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Nov 12 15:55:52 EST 2014

E-Resource Updates from the Libraries
Hi All,
Hope your semester is going well! I just wanted to share some updates to electronic resources at the Queens College Libraries.
New: Databases
PBS Video Collection<http://queens.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.alexanderstreet.com/pbsv> (Alexander Street Press), a digital collection of over 245 streaming videos from the history of PBS; relevant to academic curricula, the collection includes American Experience, Frontline, History Detectives, NOVA, and films by Ken Burns and Michael Wood. As with all Alexander Street Press video collections, each video is fully transcribed and indexed, and users can create & share playlists, video clips, and embed content onto Blackboard.
Statistical Abstract of the U.S<http://queens.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/statistical?landingpage=statab&accountid=13379>. (ProQuest), provides a comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organizations of the United States. Users can search or browse to retrieve results that can then be narrowed by source, geography, time period, or subject.
New: Citation Manager
FLOW<http://queens.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/login?url=https://flow.proquest.com/> (RefWorks/ProQuest), tool for citation management that enables you to organize your research; users can add full-text documents, collaborate with other CUNY users, and import citations into Microsoft Word. You can read more about FLOW here<http://library.qc.cuny.edu/information/news.php#eref> where we have posted links on how to transfer<http://help.flow.proquest.com/customer/portal/articles/1344093-how-to-import-your-refworks-database-into-your-existing-flow-account> existing RefWorks citations to FLOW, and provide advice on how to stick with RefWorks if you'd prefer.
Research Guides
Guides for Research and Courses can be located on the Research Guides<http://library.qc.cuny.edu/research/guides/index.php> page on the libraries' website. These include most every subject - from Accounting to Women's Studies - and are assembled by dedicated subject bibliographers.
Trials: Resources we are Considering

See all of our current trials at the Trials page, located on the Database page<http://library.qc.cuny.edu/research/databases.php>.

Loeb Classical Library<http://queens.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/login?url=http://www.loebclassics.com/advancedsearch> (Harvard University Press), a digital collection of more than 520 volumes of Greek and Latin texts with corresponding English translations. Users can browse or search with single & dual language reading modes, as well as bookmark and annotate content.

Lastly, I get this question all the time, so I thought it would be good to spread the word: All library users need to have activated their QCard library barcode in order to have off-campus access to resources. Feel free to spread the word to your students - users just need to come into the library in person to activate their cards. Easy as pie (but I've made some instructions & an error reporting form<http://library.qc.cuny.edu/services/offcampus.php#report> which can be located on the libraries' Connect from Home<http://library.qc.cuny.edu/services/offcampus.php> page).

Best,

Kelly

Kelly M. Blanchat, MLIS
E-Resources Librarian