[Socrates] RSVP Today: Pedagogy of Kindness: Faculty Excellence through a UDL Approach Across CUNY

Jean Kelly Jean.Kelly at qc.cuny.edu
Tue Mar 1 09:24:47 EST 2022

>From the QC Center for Teaching & Learning:

The Pedagogy of Kindness is a pedagogical approach focused on creating an atmosphere of consideration and care for each learner. This discussion series will expand upon previous installments, where educators connected to learn more about building communities of inquiry. In collaboration with the CUNY Innovative Teaching Academy (https://www.cuny.edu/academics/faculty-affairs/cuny-innovative-teaching-academy/), we are expanding on the extremely successful Queens College discussion series of the pedagogy of kindness.

This CUNY-wide discussion will delve into the Pedagogy of Kindness (https://hybridpedagogy.org/pedagogy-of-kindness/) and the Universal Design for Learning (https://udlguidelines.cast.org/) aspects of teaching. In this iteration of the discussion series, we cover a greater scope of topics, focusing on facilitating faculty excellence through both Pedagogy of Kindness and Universal Design Learning, such as the origins of the pedagogy of kindness, inclusive teaching through UDL, trauma-informed teaching, etc. Join us as we embark on a journey of care within our diverse CUNY community!

Below is an outline of the sessions for the series, as well as a link to register for any or all of the sessions.
Session 1 (3/9): Origins of the Pedagogy of Kindness
Session 2 (3/11): Building an International Environment for Collaborative Learning
Session 3 (3/16): A Universal Design Learning (UDL) Approach to Inclusive Teaching
Session 4 (3/30): Trauma-Informed Pedagogy
Session 5 (4/6): Navigating the Classroom Environment through Mindset GPS
Session 6 (4/13): Promoting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Higher Education
Session 7 (4/27): Alternative Assessments: Ungrading and Assignment Scaffolding
Session 8 (5/4): Setting Boundaries in the Classroom
Session 9 (5/11): Flipped Classroom Approach to Teaching
Session 10 (5/18): Humanizing the Classroom

***All sessions are from 12:00-1:30pm. Register for any or all of the sessions here: https://forms.office.com/r/pfyMGL0xxY

For event descriptions, please visit https://pokudl.commons.gc.cuny.edu/. If you have any questions at all, drop us a line at CTLOnline at qc.cuny.edu