[Socrates] CUNY Innovative Teaching Academy Presents...Teaching Matters: A Monthly Series starting Friday, February 4th at 2:00-3:00 PM

Jean Kelly Jean.Kelly at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Feb 2 14:45:03 EST 2022

Please join the CUNY Innovative Teaching Academy and share the following announcement for a free Teaching Matters workshop on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.

For complete details, download the flyer at https://t.ly/CHMC

 **CUNY Innovative Teaching Academy Presents...Teaching Matters: A Monthly Series **

This year the CUNY Innovative Teaching Academy is kicking off a new and virtual teaching workshop series. Teaching Matters is a monthly, free, one-hour summit of CUNY faculty and staff devoted to sharing innovative teaching strategies and student-centered learning methods. Each gathering includes a focused and engaged peer-to-peer workshop and a few practical teaching tips that can be used in any classroom.

**The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL): Applying a Scholarly Lens to Our Instructional Practice **

Join us on Friday, February 4th at 2:00-3:00 PM EST for a workshop on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL).

The Scholarship of Teaching of Learning (SoTL) “involves faculty undertaking systematic inquiry about student learning – informed by prior scholarship on teaching and learning – and going public with the results”. Faculty, across the disciplines, who engage in SoTL are “assets” because they “generate visible analyses of student learning taking place in their institutions [and] provide excellent models of practice for local colleagues.” Carrying out SoTL is a powerful form of faculty development.

In this interactive, one-hour Zoom session led by Dr. Laura Baecher (Professor, Hunter College School of Education) we will learn about how a SoTL agenda is particularly relevant in these times of innovation in our instructional practices, and how SoTL research can be an additional component of our scholarly profile. We will consider forms of SoTL such as Discipline-Based Education Research (DBER) and Signature Pedagogy, and look at publication outlets and types of studies.
SoTL as a process and a product advances individual faculty, courses, programs, institutions, and the field of higher education. Join us for a 1-hour introduction to SoTL and find out how you can apply to be a CUNY SoTL Fellow for 2022!

Register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-scholarship-of-teaching-and-learning-sotl-tickets-228947156107

Dr. Laura Baecher, proud daughter of Brooklyn College (’62) graduates, is Professor of TESOL in the Department of Curriculum and Teaching at Hunter College, where she also serves as a senior faculty fellow in the Academic Center for Excellence in Research and Teaching (ACERT). Her interests relate to innovative pedagogy, observation and coaching, and the use of video in professional development.

The CUNY Innovative Teaching Academy, established in 2020, aims to improve pedagogy at scale and recognize excellence and innovation in teaching by CUNY faculty. The Academy is predicated on the recognition that the quality of pedagogy and access to high-impact practices has a direct and measurable impact on the quantity and quality of degrees produced by CUNY and the ability of CUNY graduates to be well-positioned for meaningful careers and further study.

For any questions, please email Innovative.Pedagogy at cuny.edu.

Mark your calendar for the next Teaching Matters workshop on Friday, March 18 (topic TBA)