[Socrates] Panel Discussion: NYC's Immigrant Community in Crisis

Lori A Wallach Lori.Wallach at qc.cuny.edu
Mon Jul 20 10:42:45 EDT 2020

Hello all,

Please consider joining Queens Memory for this important panel discussion on the effects of COVID-19 on New York City's immigrant community; it will be held Tuesday, August 4, from 4 to 5:30 pm, via Facebook Live:

The Center for an Urban Future and NY Immigration Coalition recently released a report titled "Under Threat and Left Out: NYC's Immigrants and the Coronavirus Crisis," which explores how immigrant communities have been shut out from government assistance programs during COVID-19, which has led to financial, food, educational, and health instability. As the report notes, immigrants comprise almost half of the city's essential workers, but their voices are often not added to the discussion.

Our discussion will talk about what conditions prior to COVID-19 have led to these instabilities for immigrant communities during the pandemic, what has been the effect of COVID-19 on immigrant communities, what have been the barriers to receiving assistance, and what policies should be employed to better assist our immigrant communities.

This event will be moderated by Ana Chapman, Director of Adult Learning at Queens Public Library, and we are happy to invite the following individuals, who will be speaking at this panel:

Anu Joshi, Vice President of Policy at the New York Immigration Coalition

Jonathan Bowles, Executive Director of the Center for an Urban Future

Eli Dvorkin, Editorial & Policy Director of the Center for an Urban Future

The discussion will be streamed via Facebook Live on the Queens Memory Facebook Main Page, located here: https://www.facebook.com/queensmemory<https://www.facebook.com/queensmemory/>

This event is co-sponsored with the New Americans Program at Queens Public Library.

Lori Wallach
Queens Memory Outreach Coordinator
queensmemory.org
Queens College