[Socrates] Queens Memory Volunteer Gathering at Latimer House

Lori A Wallach Lori.Wallach at qc.cuny.edu
Tue Jul 9 18:36:51 EDT 2019

Hello everyone, and happy July!

Queens Memory is pleased to invite you to our summer "Volunteers in the Vaults" gathering! We will meet next Thursday, July 18, at the Lewis H. Latimer House (34-41 137th St., Flushing, NY), from 6 to 8 pm.

The house served as the home of African-American inventor Lewis Howard Latimer from 1903 to 1928 and is now operated as a museum dedicated to the inventor's work. Latimer, who was born in 1848, was determined to overcome his lack of formal education and taught himself mechanical drawing while in the Union Navy and became an expert draftsman. He played a critical role in the development of the telephone and, as Edison's chief draftsman, he invented and patented the carbon filament, a significant improvement in the production of the incandescent light bulb. Over the course of his career, Latimer supervised the installation of street lighting and the construction of electric plants in many American cities, as well as London and Montreal.

Attendees will be treated to a house tour and a specially selected exhibit of materials assembled by Latimer House staff. As always, we will provide light snacks and the opportunity to discuss possible Queens-related oral history projects and network with Queens Memory volunteers and staff.

Thanks, and hope to see some of you there!
Lori

Lori Wallach
Queens Memory Outreach Coordinator
queensmemory.org