[Socrates] From Classroom to Theory: How Our Students Really Learn

Michelle Fraboni Michelle.Fraboni at qc.cuny.edu
Tue May 2 21:48:57 EDT 2017

>From the Center for Teaching & Learning: From Classroom to Theory: How Our
Students Really Learn.

In case you missed this announcement from Provost Hendrey, I am pleased to
announce a special opportunity for faculty. The Center for Teaching and
Learning will be working with Meredith Reitman, Principal, Reitman
Research and Strategy, on a four-session discussion series focused on
student learning. We will kick off the series in May with our first
program, a discussion on student learning titled: From Classroom to
Theory: How Our Students Really Learn. We will begin with an orientation
session on May 11, followed by three discussion sessions the week of June
12.

You can apply here: http://goo.gl/KvdgKB

See more details below.

Best -
Michelle

Michelle C. Fraboni, Director
Queens College Center for Teaching & Learning
http://ctl.qc.cuny.edu/

Center for Teaching and Learning, and the Office of Institutional
Effectiveness. Both full- and part-time faculty are encouraged to apply.

This four-session series will be co-facilitated by Meredith Reitman,
Principal, Reitman Research and Strategy, and Michelle Fraboni, Director
of the Center for Teaching and Learning and Lecturer in the Department of
Elementary and Early Childhood Education. The series begins with an
orientation session on May 11, followed by three discussion sessions the
week of June 12.

Participants will actively engage with faculty peers across disciplines
through facilitated discussions about teaching and learning, motivated by
selected readings from two books:

* Ambrose, Susan A., Michael W. Bridges, Michele DiPietro, Marsha C.
Lovett, Marie K. Norman. 2010. How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based
Principles for Smart Teaching. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
* Merriam, Sharan B., Rosemary S. Caffarella, Lisa M. Baumgartner. 2007.
Learning in Adulthood: A Comprehensive Guide. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.

The program is intended to encourage greater reflection on andragogical
practices, exploring in depth how students learn to determine how best to
teach. By the end of the series, we expect participants will be able to
identify theories and principles of learning as they relate to college
students, and QC students in particular, and to have developed a greater
understanding of research-based strategies to improve student learning.
Faculty participants will receive:

* A copy of How Learning Works (hardcover); Learning in Adulthood is
available as a free download.
* A $200 stipend (must attend all four sessions to be eligible for the
stipend)
* Lunch for the three discussion sessions in June

Schedule:

Orientation/introductory session on Thursday, May 11, 4-5:30 pm, Queens
Hall 325

Discussion sessions (each includes lunch):
Monday, June 12, 12:30 - 3 pm, Queens Hall 325
Wednesday, June 14, 12:30-3 pm, Queens Hall 325
Friday, June 16, 12:30-3 pm, Queens Hall 325

Please complete the online response form at http://goo.gl/KvdgKB  to
indicate your interest and availability for this professional development
opportunity by 5 pm on May 3. Because this program is limited to 20
participants, a stratified (by division) random sample of faculty will be
selected from those expressing interest by the response deadline.
Notification will be sent on May 4.

Facilitator Bio:
Meredith Reitman, Ph.D., Principal, Reitman Research and Strategy
Meredith Reitman is the President of Reitman Research and Strategy, which
provides research and evaluation services to nonprofits, universities, and
government agencies. Dr. Reitman started her academic career as a faculty
member in the Geography Department at the University of Wisconsin -
Milwaukee. Her research relied on feminist geography and critical race
theory to explore the role of race in workplace belonging and exclusion.
She then transitioned to a career in evaluation and assessment, working
with New York City-based nonprofits, universities, and agencies to
investigate whether and how they were reaching their stated outcomes in
education, housing, health and employment. She recently served as the
Director of Assessment for Hunter College, holding a joint position as
Co-Director of Hunter's Center for Teaching and Learning.