[Socrates] You are invited to meet and discuss organizing and cataloging The Daghlian Collection of Chinese and Japanese Art

Cecilia B Britez Cecilia.Britez at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Feb 10 15:20:03 EST 2016

>From Marleen Kassel, Department of History:

Greetings,

Members of the Queens College community are invited to meet and discuss organizing and cataloging The Daghlian Collection of Chinese and Japanese Art. Interested parties should email marleen.kassel at qc.cuny.edu and join us at our first meeting on Wednesday, February 24, from 12:15-1:30 pm in Powdermaker Hall 156.

Background of The Daghlian Collection:
As a result of Year of China (2010-2011) activities, Mr. William Daghlian gave his collection of 1,800 pieces of Chinese art objects, library of 500 books, and his collection of Japanese textiles to the college. The comprehensive collection is stored in Queens Hall; a selection of its pieces are showcased online in the collection's website, http://daghlian.qc.cuny.edu.

We are preparing to organize and catalogue the collection and are looking to devise, standardize, and implement procedures for using the collection (taking student groups into the collection, borrowing objects from the collection for use on campus, and to lend to other institutions).

Faculty are invited to teach experiential learning courses using the collection. Student interns are invited to work on the collection under the guidance of faculty. Volunteers from the community interested in the collection are also invited to join the initiative.

We will use the spring semester of 2016 to outline and plan the project and begin work on the collection in the summer of 2016. We anticipate the project will require 12-18 months to complete.

Best,

Marleen Kassel, Ph.D.
Distinguished Lecturer
History Department