[Socrates] Facilitating Constructive Conversations in the Classroom, December 11

Jean Kelly Jean.Kelly at qc.cuny.edu
Mon Nov 30 07:53:25 EST 2015

Students often bring up difficult issues in class. We and our students are experiencing the ramifications of events in the Middle East; police use of excessive force; shootings in churches, schools, and movie theaters; the intensifying immigration debate;  ongoing discussions of racism and genderism; and whatever turns up in the morning's news. It is important to hone our skills in facilitating constructive conversations in the classroom.

Join Sophia McGee and John Vogelsang, from QC's Center for Ethnic, Racial, & Religious Understanding (CERRU) for a workshop that will help you:
- foster a safe space for constructive conversations; and
- develop and augment your skills for facilitating constructive conversations about difficult issues in the classroom.

The session will include small and large group discussions, role plays, case studies, and demonstrations of techniques with opportunities to practice them.

The series is open to all Queens College faculty (full- and part-time). If you are interested, please sign up by filling out this brief form: https://goo.gl/qzPZf1 ​

You can expect to take away from the session:
- Various approaches to facilitating constructive conversations
- Affirmation and deepening of your facilitation skills.