[Socrates] Apartheid and HIV in South Africa lecture this Wednesday

Larissa Swedell larissaswedell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 13:27:30 EST 2015

Dear all,

Happy New Year!  Apologies if you have already received this announcement
through another means, but I wanted to let you know about the Year of South
Africa Short Course schedule that is taking shape for this semester:
http://southafrica.qc.cuny.edu/south-africa-short-course

Please note that our first lecture will be this week, *Wednesday Feb. 4*,
and will focus on the history, politics, and epidemiology of HIV/AIDS in
South Africa.  We are bringing in two excellent visiting scholars that work
in this area, Dr. Ida Susser from Hunter College and Dr. Mark Lurie from
Brown University, and the discussion will be moderated by our own Dr. Holly
Reed (Sociology).

*Apartheid and HIV in South Africa: How a century of policies left the new
democratic South Africa vulnerable to HIV*

Wednesday, Feb. 4
12:15 pm
Godwin-Ternbach Museum
Klapper Hall 405

The first Spring 2015 lecture in our Short Course on South Africa will
feature Professor Mark Lurie (Brown University) and Professor Ida Susser
(Hunter College-CUNY), who will discuss historical, social, political, and
epidemiological dimensions of HIV in South Africa.  Professor Lurie will
focus on the role of industrial development, apartheid, and patterns of
migration in creating social conditions conducive to the spread of HIV.
Professor Susser will discuss the history of protest that led to effective
treatment and preventions options for South Africans living with HIV.  The
discussion will be moderated by Professor Holly Reed (Queens
College-CUNY).  For more details, please see:
http://southafrica.qc.cuny.edu/apartheid-and-hiv-in-south-africa

Please distribute this message widely and hope to see you all there!

Larissa Swedell, Ph.D.
Professor, Queens College, City University of New York
Honorary Research Associate, University of Cape Town