[Socrates] Assistance With Evaluating Fulbright Applications

Moira E Egan Moira.Egan at qc.cuny.edu
Fri Aug 28 10:17:24 EDT 2015

Dear all,
Once again this year, we have a number of students applying for Fulbright awards to do a wide range of very interesting projects.  As a sampling to whet your interest, we have students applying to study dance, literature, and childhood  in England, to teach English in Thailand, Malaysia and Jordan, and to conduct research in Israel.  Each application must include an evaluation by a campus committee composed of faculty and staff who assess things like the feasibility of the student's proposal, his/her ability to carry it out, and the student's ability to serve as a kind of cultural ambassador for the United States.  Each evaluation meeting takes about an hour, plus some additional time to read the application before the meeting.  Applications consist of students' personal information, three recommendations, language evaluation forms (if required) and two statements (of one to two pages each).  The campus evaluation is a form which committees fill out during the evaluation meeting.  We would like to begin the evaluations shortly after September 11th, our campus deadline for receipt of all applications, and complete them by early October in order to give students time to make final revisions by Fulbright's October 13th deadline.

Committees play an invaluable role in the process of awarding Fulbrights, so I'd very much appreciate your assistance in helping to further our students' success. If you can join us, could you please let me know about your areas of interest so that I can start thinking about how best to match committees and applicants?

Thanks very much for your assistance.
Best,
Moira ~

Moira E. Egan, Ph.D.