[Socrates] Fall Teaching Opportunity: Humanities

Robin Hizme Robin.Hizme at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Aug 5 18:23:23 EDT 2015

We are looking to fill a teaching vacancy in a Humanities seminar (HTH 101) for the upcoming fall 2015 semester. The students are Townsend Harris High School at Queens College seniors, and the course is team-taught with a member of the THHS English faculty. The course take place on the college campus and abides by the CUNY scheduling matrix and calendar. The day/time slot of this particular section is T/R 9:15-10:30am.

The course is one of our "tech" sections in which students receive iPads and do most of their reading, writing, researching, and curating digitally. We emphasize the writing process, critical reading and research skills in a collaborative learning environment. The theme of the course is "Human/Inhuman: Speculative Fictions of the Western Tradition." Readings in the fall are the foundation for further reading, research, and inquiry in the spring semester course, HTH 102. (Readings include selections from: Euripides, Bacchae; Mary Shelley, Frankenstein; Frederick Douglass, Life and Times of Frederick Douglass; Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale; Aristotle, Politics; Plato, Protagoras; The Hebrew Bible and The Greek Bible; John Milton, Paradise Lost;  Dante, Inferno; Thomas More, Utopia.)

The ideal candidate has several years of teaching experience, a familiarity with iPads and digital writing platforms, and an interest in the high school-to-college transition experience. We welcome candidates from any department. Please note that this position does not carry with it any benefits, nor does it count towards step increases with the PSC. Hiring and payment would be via the CUNY Research Foundation, not Queens College.

Interested applicants should send a brief email of introduction, along with an attached CV to Robin.Hizme at qc.cuny.edu<mailto:Robin.Hizme at qc.cuny.edu>. Submissions will be considered on a rolling basis.

Best,
Robin Hizme

Director, College Preparatory Programs
Adjunct Faculty, English Department