[Socrates] Queens College Offers a New 3-Credit Course Elective - Introduction to Leadership

kenneth.lord at qc.cuny.edu kenneth.lord at qc.cuny.edu
Tue Jan 8 16:10:11 EST 2013

Denise, et al.,
Please note that there is a prerequisite for this course: "Permission of
the program director of BALA".
Ken

=======================================
Dr. Kenneth Lord
Queens College Blackboard Administrator
Chair, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
Lecturer, Computer Science
Queens College, CUNY

<denise.miller at qc.cuny.edu>
Sent by: <socrates-bounces at lists.qc.cuny.edu>
01/07/2013 10:04 PM

<socrates at lists.qc.cuny.edu>
cc

Subject
[Socrates] Queens College Offers a New 3-Credit Course Elective -
Introduction to Leadership

Happy New Year All:

Queens College has added a new 3 credit elective:  Introduction to
Leadership  for the Spring 2013 semester

The course is being taught by Denise Miller who teaches [or has taught]
BUS 160W, BALA 165 and Media Studies 165.  Although the course is offered
through the BALA program it is open to all Queens College students
regardless of major or minor.

This is an advanced course [level 300] but there are no prerequisites to
registtartion for the course. Please fee free to e-mail me at this e-mail
address or at dmillerqcprof at aol.com with any questions about specific
content.

The Course Description follows:

Course Description:  Topics in Business ? Leadership

You are a leader!  You have influence!  Someone, at some time, follows
your example or suggestions!
he strong demand for excellent leadership in all organizations, at all
levels, demands that we all strategically develop ourselves as leaders.
More than ?being in charge? or exerting influence, leaders ? effective
leaders - create positive change for the greater organizational or the
community good.

This course will briefly review the history of leadership and then explore
leadership styles, leadership theories and how both can be seen in today?s
teams and organizations.  The course also will define general leadership
characteristics and competencies.   Finally, the course will review and
discuss leadership issues in the news along with some classic leadership
issues that organizations and teams have faced.

In this course, students will assess their own current leadership skills
and competencies and they will develop personal plans to further develop
their leadership capabilities. Students will also review and discuss
Leadership Case Studies and they will be given the opportunity to explore
and apply their acquired knowledge to Leadership Dilemmas.  Students will
review and discuss items reported on in the Washington Post Leadership
pages as well as the videos posted in the Business section of TED Talks

Please feel free to contact me at this e-mail address or at
dmillerqcprof at aol.com  if you have any questions about the course.

If you would like to register, the course details for registration are:

The specifics of the course are:  Course Number:  BALA 3983 - 01   VT:
Special Topics in Business  CUNYFirst Class number:  8631 Meeting
Day/Time/Room:  Monday - 3:05 - 5:55 PM - Honors Hall Room 17.

I hope that you are all well and I would love to have you or your students
and advisees participate in this new and exciting course!

Have an excellent week and again, a very Happy New Year!
Denise Miller
Denise L. Miller
Adjunct Lecturer,
Economics Department/BALA Program
Queens College, The City University of New York
Alternate e-mail: dmillerqcprof at aol.com
Voice mail: 718.997.5458

This communication (including any attachments) is intended solely for the
recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential,
privileged or legally protected. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return
email message and delete all copies of the original communication. Thank
you for your cooperation.
To unsubscribe or change your preferences goto
http://lists.qc.cuny.edu/mailman/listinfo/socrates