[Socrates] Project Donate

Alexandra Crisafi alexandra.crisafi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 15:23:09 EST 2012

Dear QC Professors,

As you know, on October 29th, Hurricane Sandy devastated New York City.
This storm has tragically left dozens of people dead, and thousands without
power or homes to return to.

Queens College is currently acting as a shelter (1 of 16 in the county of
Queens) for over 500 people who were forced to evacuate their homes. Many
of these people, along with countless other New Yorkers, no longer have
anything to go back to.

Given the magnitude of this storm, recovery will be long and difficult.
However, it will become much easier if we band together, opening our hearts
and our minds to help those in need. *Project* *Donate* is a campus - wide
initiative started by Queens College students, which currently aims to help
hurricane victims by collecting donations of all sorts for people of all
ages in need. The original goal of Project Donate, set in August of this
year, was to collect winter coats and jackets for the LGBTQ homeless
population of New York City. We previously had set up boxes during the
semester in all major QC buildings to collect these donations. However,
since the storm struck, we have seen an increased need for common household
items in addition to clothes and coats. A recent trip to Staten Island by
Project Donate volunteers revealed the magnitude of this need, as over 300
items that had been collected were all distributed to people within a
matter of hours.

 *How can you help? *We humbly request your help in making our project
efforts as efficient as possible. On Monday, November 5th, during free
hour, we will hold a meeting in Jefferson 306 (the Jewish Studies Library)
to initiate a roundtable discussion on what we can do to help alleviate the
suffering of those affected by the storm, as well as create committees and
put words into action. We have advertised throughout the campus by flyers
and extensive Facebook campaigning, and we would like to reach as many
students as possible. Please see our link for more information:
www.facebook.com/qcprojectdonate.

By informing students about this meeting and about our project and its
mission, we essentially come together as a community of student activists
and volunteers, enabling positivity onto one another. Donation collections
would also grow exponentially by spreading the word about Project Donate to
other staff members and departmental heads. Your voice is crucial in making
our project a success.

 We thank you in advance for all of your support.

 -
Alexandra Ninfa Crisafi
Director at Project Donate <http://www.facebook.com/qcprojectdonate>
Queens College, City University of New York
Graduate Student