[Socrates] Fw: Plenary April 17 -- IT and academic needs

kenneth.lord at qc.cuny.edu kenneth.lord at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Mar 28 11:34:03 EDT 2012

In addition to the items Sandi mentions, I have heard that the IT Steering
Committee wants to disallow ALL forwarding of email.
It's hard to know what they are thinking because they keep no minutes and
allow no public notes to be distributed (though some
sneak out). There is no excuse for that in a committee that makes such
large-scale decisions.

Ken

=======================================
Dr. Kenneth Lord
Assistant to the Provost for Educational Technology (
www.qc.cuny.edu/edtech)
Chair, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
Lecturer, Computer Science
Queens College, CUNY

----- Forwarded by Kenneth Lord/CSCI/Faculty/Queens College on 03/28/2012
11:31 AM -----

Sandi Cooper <Sandi.Cooper at csi.cuny.edu>
Sent by: CUNY UFS Announcement-only list <UFS-NEWS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
03/28/2012 11:24 AM
Please respond to
Sandi Cooper <Sandi.Cooper at csi.cuny.edu>

UFS-NEWS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
cc

Subject
Plenary  April 17 -- IT and academic needs

Dear Colleagues,

This communication is to URGE you to communicate to ALL you colleagues,
besides UFS senators, who are concerned with centralized IT decisions as
these impact academic needs -- teaching AND research.

I wish to insure that Brian Cohen, who is in charge of CUNY's IT offices
and the IT committee (composed to technical personnel from the colleges)
-- OUR GUEST AT THE PLENARY -- hears directly from faculty what their
problems might be.

If you cannot come (Tuesday evening, April 17, 6:30 pm, Graduate School,
9th floor meeting rooms) you are invited to e mail me with issues that you
wish raised.

Issues which I have raised with Brian Cohen so far include decisions on
e-portfolios (which we consider a faculty concern); whether or not
retirees can still get their college e mail;  a system of public
communication to all faculty of IT decisions (Cohen's office is planning a
new letter) and a regular system of minutes of the IT meetings.

Issues about the new Blackboard upgrade and CUNYFirst continue to arise
and Brian will address these.

I need to hear from people who are concerned both with teaching and their
own research needs.

Sandi

Sandi E. Cooper, Chair
University Faculty Senate -- CUNY
535 E 80 Street
New York, N Y 10075
212 794 5538

Change is in the Air - Smoking in Designated Areas Only in effect.
Tobacco-Free Campus as of July 1, 2012.
the following: "SIGNOFF UFS-NEWS".