[Socrates] Jan 7-21: workshop on teaching online

timothy eaton teaton at qc.cuny.edu
Mon Dec 10 11:56:13 EST 2012

Eva,
Having completed one of these "asynchronous" January workshop courses
myself, I wanted to provide some perspective for those considering
registering, and feedback for you to communicate to those who organize them.

I had some experience with Blackboard before the course itself - I guess
I am pretty proficient now in benefiting from the advantages of
Blackboard while minimizing the extra time involved in using the system.
I do continue to use Blackboard because I think it helps students by
providing easy access to audiovisual material online. Despite this
experience, much of which I had beforehand, I found the compensation
offered (for 10 hours over 2 wks) woefully undervalues and understates
the minimal time required: it is more like 20 hours simply to meet the
very basic expectations of participation in the workshop.

It is great that CUNY is providing these opportunities for professional
development in using online resources.  It is very unfortunate that the
university seems to see hybrid/online offerings as a way of providing
courses on the cheap without addressing the very real extra time demands
on faculty for implementing such courses.  Setting realistic time and
compensation values for these workshops and assigning extra faculty
workload hours for hybrid and online courses would go a long way toward
correcting these problems.

Tim

--
-