[QCsenate 0181] Ad Hoc Working Group on Recognition

Brenda Salas Brenda.Salas at qc.cuny.edu
Thu Feb 11 14:00:38 EST 2021

Dear Senators,

Please find Ad Hoc Committee request below. Please consider nominating or self-nominating by sending an email to Simone.Yearwood at qc.cuny.edu<mailto:Simone.Yearwood at qc.cuny.edu> or Brenda.salas at qc.cuny.edu<mailto:Brenda.salas at qc.cuny.edu>. We will be accepting nominations through Monday, February 22, 2021.

__

Consistent with our values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, I write to appoint an Ad Hoc Working Group on Recognition. Its charge is to consider the names of Queens College buildings and programs to make recommendations regarding any possible changes, as well as to offer proposed guidelines for honoring a diverse range of persons associated with Queens College who played a significant role in the history of Queens College, in society more generally, or ideally both. A report is requested by the conclusion of this academic year.

The working group will have thirteen members selected as follows. The Senate is requested to send at least seven nominees from whom three will be selected (including at least one student); the Student Association should send at least five nominees from whom two will be selected (including at least one graduate student); the P&B should send at least three nominees from which one will be selected; and the QC Foundation should send three nominees; the remaining members will be selected from the President's Council or will be presidential designees. The incoming Chief Diversity Officer will serve ex officio. I will name one co-chair, and another will be elected from the faculty members on the working group (all members of the working group to have one vote). The Working Group should hold at least one town hall open to all, including community members. Working group members should represent a diverse range of opinions and be open to collegial discussion. They will be provided a full list of all buildings, rooms, and spaces with names, as well as major programs officially recognized by name.

Once the group is assembled, they will be invited to a preliminary meeting to discuss the work. Any recommendations that are made should be consistent with CUNY policies on naming. Any proposed guidelines for honoring a diverse range of persons should be general, without specific requests as to individuals. The report will be considered in decision making to follow. Further discussion through shared governance may be appropriate, depending on the contents of the report.

Best regards,
Brenda
--
Brenda Salas
Administrative Coordinator | Academic Senate