[QCsenate 0054] How to get through the Flexible Common Core without doing any science or social science.

Stephen Grover sgrover at qc.cuny.edu
Sat Dec 8 16:23:11 EST 2012

NYCtech's ENG 2200 American Literature I is listed under Literature as the
discipline, not English. It is approved for USED. A student can take this
together with two literature courses approved in CE: say, Bronx's ITL 23
Dante's Divine Comedy (discipline: Italian)  and ENG 61 Shakespeare
(English). Then she can take Hunter's CLA 250 Greek & Roman Tragedy
(Classics) for IS and FREN 205 Introduction to Literary Analysis (French)
at Queens for WCGI. Five literature courses with no more than one in any
discipline, and only SW left to satisfy in the Flexible Common Core.
Lehman's HIS 239 Ascent of Man: History of Science (History) ought to do
nicely. No courses in any scientific discipline, nor any in social
sciences. Even if Literature is treated as the same discipline as English,
there is still no more than two courses in any one discipline, and that is
within the rules everywhere except Baruch.

If the Chancellor was asked, 'Is it possible to satisfy the Flexible Common
Core by taking only literature and history courses, and no courses in
either sciences or social sciences?' I am sure he would answer, 'No'.
Unfortunately, he would be mistaken.

Happy Pathways!

Stephen