[Socrates] Invitation – CUNY Workshops on Generative AI

Jean Kelly Jean.Kelly at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Sep 20 15:25:10 EDT 2023

Dear Colleagues:

CETLL would like to share the following information on a new Teaching Matters series on generative AI. Registration links are in the respective session descriptions. Please direct inquiries to Innovative.Pedagogy at cuny.edu<mailto:Innovative.Pedagogy at cuny.edu> with the subject line “AI Question.”

The CUNY Office of Faculty Affairs team hopes the new academic year is off to a good start for each of you. We are excited to announce a new Teaching Matters series on generative AI, led by CUNY’s own AI experts from across the University.

The schedule, registration links, and other information about the three sessions are below and in this flyer<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DfpZVYWc5azfM7rWuEWQWynqK1NvY2xv/view> (also attached). Please share this information widely. If you have any questions, please email us at Innovative.Pedagogy at cuny.edu<mailto:Innovative.Pedagogy at cuny.edu> with the subject line “AI Question.”

We look forward to seeing you there!

CUNY Central Office of Faculty Affairs, Teaching Matters Team

-----

CUNY Teaching Matters Special Series on Generative AI

Fall 2023

Session 1: Friday, September 29 (11a-12p)

What is AI and What Can it Do?

Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/what-is-ai-and-what-can-it-do-tickets-713864988397?aff=oddtdtcreator>

In this introductory session, we will discuss what AI is and what it can do, while also discussing our concerns and challenges. The session is designed to deepen our understandings of current and possible future landscapes of AI.

Workshop Leaders:

Andrea Fabrizio (Hostos Community College),

Jack Kenigsberg (Hunter College), &

Ruru Rusmin (CUNY School of Professional Studies)

Topics include:

·         What Generative AI is and what it can do

·         Prevalent concerns about AI in educational settings

·         Possible positive impacts of AI

Session 2: Friday, October 27 (11a-12p)

AI in the Classroom

Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ai-in-the-classroom-tickets-714855360627?aff=oddtdtcreator>

The second session of the series will focus on how AI has been and can be used in educational settings. We will brainstorm and exchange ideas for how we can use AI tools in positive ways.

Workshop Leaders:

Mohammad Azhar (Borough of Manhattan Community College),

Jeremy Caplan (CUNY School of Journalism), &

Roderick “Shane” Snipes (Brough of Manhattan Community College)

Topics include:

·         Using AI to increase student engagement (and reduce plagiarism)

·         Improving productivity to develop instructional content

·         Integrating AI into assessment

Session 3: Friday, November 17 (11a-12p)

Bias, Accuracy, and Ethical Issues of AI

Register<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bias-accuracy-and-ethical-issues-of-ai-tickets-714865450807?aff=oddtdtcreator>

As effective educators, we continue educating ourselves (and our students) to improve our AI literacy. It is crucial we understand the limitations and ethical aspects of AI. In the third session of the series, we will discuss some “sticky” issues surrounding AI.

Workshop Leaders:

Matt Gold (CUNY Graduate Center),

Carlos Guevara (Hostos Community College), &

Olena Zhadko (Lehman College)

Topics include:

·         AI’s limitations and flaws

·         Incorporating AI policies in your syllabi

·         Improving our and students’ AI literacy in an ever-changing landscape

[Image]

Mari Watanabe-Rose, Ph.D.

University Director of Faculty Development

The Office of Academic Affairs

The City University of New York

Office Phone: 646-664-8049

MS Teams: Mari.Rose82