[Socrates] Queens College's Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration (Virtual), Sunday, January 16 at 3pm

Jean Kelly Jean.Kelly at qc.cuny.edu
Mon Jan 10 16:55:51 EST 2022

>From President Frank H. Wu:

This Sunday, January 16 at 3 pm, the college community will come together to remember the life and legacy of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. We Are Not Satisfied: There is a Long, Long Way to Go In the Footsteps of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is a free virtual event that will celebrate King’s legacy. Trey McLaughlin and The Sounds of Zamar, a choir from Augusta, Georgia, will offer a virtual performance of their adaptations of contemporary gospel, pop, and musical theatre hits. In a video especially made for the occasion, four alumni who attended a speech delivered by King at Queens College—Noel Hankin ’68, Elliot Linzer ’80, then-Student Association President Ronald Pollack ’65, Wayne Price ’66—will share their memories of the event. Mike Wenger '65 will offer his perspective. Student Association President Zaire Couloute will be featured. Invited speakers include top elected officials and Black Student Union Treasurer and Student Senator Jamal Mark.

The event is free and open to the public; registration is required. Register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/queens-college-mlk-day-celebration-tickets-241440092817

Queens College has a longstanding history of involvement in the struggle for equality and social justice. This dedication is epitomized by Queens College student Andrew Goodman who was slain, along with fellow civil rights workers James Chaney and Michael Schwerner, in Mississippi in 1964. The college Clocktower is named in their honor. In 1965, the college welcomed the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as part of the John F. Kennedy Memorial Lecture Series. Audio of King’s 1965 address to Queens College students is preserved in the Civil Rights Archive of the college’s Benjamin S. Rosenthal Library; you can listen to it at https://archives.qc.cuny.edu/civilrights/collections/show/11

I hope you can join us for this unifying event that will commemorate the life of one of the most important leaders of our time.