[Socrates] June 2015 Syllabus Bootcamp: Register by Monday May 18

Jean Kelly Jean.Kelly at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Apr 29 14:21:27 EDT 2015

The Center for Teaching & Learning will be offering an intensive workshop on the essential elements of course design during the week of June 1-5. Faculty from all disciplines and levels are invited to participate, but we especially encourage participation from faculty teaching Gen Ed or Gateway-to-the-Major courses.

We are calling this a "syllabus bootcamp" because the syllabus is the ideal launching point for re-designing a course. Workshop activities will focus on developing learning goals, course assessments and other essential parts of a course. Participants will have the opportunity to explore how these can be embedded into learning management systems (like Blackboard), and how available technologies can support developing and using rubrics; administering surveys, quizzes and tests; and collecting written work.

Depending on participants' interests, we may form a break-out group of faculty interested in incorporating components to hybridize a course--that is, to replace face-to-face time with online activities.

Workshop participants will work on an existing syllabus or a new syllabus that is under development. The workshop will be conducted in hybrid mode, with required face-to-face meetings on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and asynchronous online meetings on Tuesday and Thursday.

Participants who complete the workshop will receive a college-issued iPad or iPad Mini.

The deadline to apply for this workshop is Monday, May 18. Participants will be notified by Friday, May 22.

Please complete the application here: http://tinyurl.com/CTL-June-2015.

More information: http://ctl.qc.cuny.edu/cfp-syllabus-bc-june-2015/

Questions may be directed to Nathalia Holtzman (nholtzman at qc.cuny.edu).