[Socrates] Readers Needed for APIASF Scholarship

Moira E Egan Moira.Egan at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Aug 13 12:10:27 EDT 2014

Dear all,
First, I'd like to thank you for your help in publicizing scholarships available to QC students for the first time through the Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund (APIASF).  Approximately ten students from Queens College will be awarded an APIASF Scholarship and will receive a one-time scholarship award of $2,500 to cover the cost of attending Queens College.  There is the possibility that the award amount may be increased depending on the student's financial need, and scholars have opportunities for academic and professional mentoring through the APIASF.

The application has been open three weeks and over 60 Queens College students have already begun applying.  I have also received quite a number of inquiries, so I expect more students will apply by the October 15th deadline.  As part of our partnership with the APIASF, Queens College needs reviewers to help score the applications from all fifteen of the eligible institutions. Applications can be reviewed completely online and at your own pace.

How can you help?
We are seeking volunteers to review applications for the 2014-2015 APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship Program between October 16, 2014 and November 14, 2014. Readers will have access to a secure website to review scholarship applications. To ensure that there are enough readers to evaluate all applications, readers are asked to commit to reading a minimum of 40 applications. Each application takes approximately 10-15 minutes to review.

All volunteers, new & returning, are required to review a training document (PDF). The training covers basic information related to education in the Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander communities and provides an overview of the review and scoring process. All readers must have an undergraduate college diploma and/or 7-10 years of work experience. Readers do not need to be of AAPI ethnicity.

If you are interested in volunteering as a reader, please complete the new reader registration form online at https://aanapisischolarship.apiasf.org/reader/. One question on the registration form asks for your resume but you can simply paste your LinkedIn profile weblink or include your degree and the institution from which it was attained in the text box.

For more information please contact me at Moira.Egan at qc.cuny.edu<mailto:Moira.Egan at qc.cuny.edu> or by phone at extension 72863.  You can also reach Cecilia Marshall, Director of the APIASF Scholarship Program, at cmarshall at apiasf.org<mailto:cmarshall at apiasf.org> or by calling (202) 747-7235.

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this, and of course for all you do to insure that students have the tools to reach their full potential.
Best,
Moira

~
Moira E. Egan, Ph.D.